Dr. Gallagher received the B.S. degree from Iowa State University in 1974, the M.S. degree from the University of Iowa in 1978, and the Ph.D. degree from the University of Iowa in 1982.
- Space Plasma Physics Group
- Space Science Laboratory, Marshall Space Flight Center
- National Space Science & Technology Center
- NASA Mail Code SD50, 320 Sparkman Drive, Huntsville, AL 35805
- (256) 961-7687
Following graduate school he joined the Physics faculty at the University of Alabama in Huntsville where he stayed for two years until leaving the position of Assistant Research Professor in 1984. Since 1984 he has worked for NASA in the Space Science Laboratory of Marshall Space Flight Center. He has worked in a variety of areas including the study of Auroral Kilometric Radiation, Doppler shifted short wavelength ion acoustic waves in the magnetosheath, terrestrial micropulsations, wave-packet bursts upstream of the Jovian bow shock, and dust impacts during transit of the Saturnian ring plane. He has become heavily involved in studying the effects of heavy ions on wave-particle plasma processes and with the empirical modeling of magnetospheric plasmas. In addition, he is serving as the Study Scientist for the Inner Magnetosphere Imager mission. Most recent work has involved the global, empirical modeling of inner magnetospheric plasmas. Accomplishments include a empirical derivation of the steady-state azimuthal profile of the plasmapause as a function of the level of geomagnetic activity and in relating this profile to the global electric field structure. The proposed investigation involves the direct extension of this recent effort.
- Gallagher, D.L., J.D. Menietti, J.L. Burch, A.M. Persoon, J.H. Waite, Jr., and C.R. Chappell, Evidence of High Densities and Ion Outflows in the Polar Cap During the Recovery Phase, J. Geophys. Res., 91, 3321-3327, 1986.
- Gallagher, D.L., P.D. Craven, R.H. Comfort, and T.E. Moore, On the azimuthal variation of the equatorial plasmapause, J. Geophys. Res., 100, 23,597-23,606, 1995.
- Waite, J.H., D.L. Gallagher, M.O. Chandler, R.C. Olsen, R.H. Comfort, J.F.E. Johnson, C.R. Chappell, W.K. Peterson, D. Weimer, and S.D. Shawhan, Plasma and Field Observations of a Pc 5 Wave Event, J. Geophys. Res., 91, 11147-11161, 1986.
- Olsen, R.C., S.D. Shawhan, D.L. Gallagher, J.L. Green, C.R. Chappell, and R.R. Anderson, Plasma Observations at the Earth's Magnetic Equator, J. Geophys. Res., 92, 2385-2407, 1987.